Kids Not Power
Kidsnotpower.org is a subsection of the www.voice4choice.org and www.personalizedlearning.org website, which has been established to be a strong voice for student-centered public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. This Kidsnotpower.org subsection is intended to be a direct, counterpoint voice to the propaganda website, kidsnotprofits.com, which has been established by several public charter school hater groups using false and misleading allegations against public charter schools with the intent of undermining public school choice for parents and students and killing “the competition” of public charter schools nationwide. Don’t be fooled and seduced by desperate measures from desperate people trying to hold on to a broken education system that is failing way too many of our children.
Hundreds of thousands of parents and students are leaving district operated public schools each year, of their own free will, to choose public charter schools largely because most districts are outright refusing to change their education system and programs to meet the needs and interests of 21st century learners. Many district administrators and their schools remain largely beholden to the obsolete, century old, industrial age, one-size-fits-all, factory assembly line-like model developed in the late 19th and early 20th century. This model, even with its predominantly overcrowded classrooms and rigid approach to learning, works well for some students. But this outmoded approach to learning continues to either fail outright or underprepare way too many students for the challenges and needs of the 21st century. Parents and students, in response to this chronically failing system, are instead choosing public charter schools largely because public charter schools are proving flexible, adaptable, innovative, and responsive to the needs of 21st century students. Public charter schools view public education as a service and their students as their customers!
Enter the charter school hater groups. The charter school hater groups pretend to represent the public education interest at large. But these groups are not interested in supporting parent and student public school choices that are beyond their absolute control. To undermine and sabotage alternative choices, they have launched a sinister, coordinated, wide-spread, negative propaganda campaign to demonize and villainize public charter schools across the country. However, this attack is not just an attack on public charter schools. This is a direct attack against you, the people, and your fundamental right to choose which public school is best for your children’s success. This is a direct attack against your freedom and liberty, and is, in reality, a veiled attempt to reinstate a pre-charter school, monolithic, monopolistic, and oppressive public education system that forces your children to attend their district operated public schools with no other options that may be better suited for your children’s educational success.
Parents and students, don’t be fooled. A public education system without choices beyond district operated schools is not in the best interests of you or your children! Look at the chronically failing results of the district-operated public school system. Those results are real! It is estimated that district-operated public schools have been outright failing, underserving or underpreparing from 1/3 to ½ of all public education students for decades. Why else would hundreds of thousands of parents and students annually be seeking, of their own free will, the public charter school choice instead?
These facts are alarming enough. Don’t believe the propaganda lies about public charter schools. This false and misleading narrative’s primary purpose is to instill public doubt and fear, and to undermine parent and student public school choice.
This battle truly comes down to you, as parents and students, standing up for your fundamental rights to public school choice and to seek the best opportunities for a successful, high quality education. Demand your right to public school choice, equal access, and equal opportunity to quality public education in your communities. Stand up for your freedom! Stand up for choice! Equal access and equal opportunities to quality education in all communities is best achieved through parent and student choice, and must include public charter school choices that are independent of absolute district control. Stand up for public charter school choice! Stand up for quality education that puts your children first! Stand up for quality education that personalizes learning for your children! The alternative is unacceptable. The absence of choice is oppression!
As part of their negative propaganda campaign, these charter school hater groups representing the status quo have created a website called “kidsnotprofits.com”. This website contains outrageous false claims, status quo propaganda talking points, and blown out of proportion allegations claiming that the charter school movement is predominantly motivated by profit seekers. It is simply not true. The fact is that only 2% (about 25 of 1200 public charter schools in California) are operated by for-profit companies.
On behalf of the thousands of sincere, dedicated public charter school administrators, staff, teachers, parents, and volunteers that are dedicating their lives to putting the needs of students first in action every day through public charter schools and guiding hundreds of thousands of students to education success annually, a majority of students whom have either been failed outright or underserved by district operated public schools, we say bulloney to these false allegations! This petty propaganda campaign thrust upon the public by the charter school hater groups is offensive and a personal affront to the thousands of hardworking professional educators whose lives are dedicated to doing what is best for students. Self-serving, absolute, monopolistic power over public education does not serve the needs and best interests of parents and children. Therefore, we say kidsnotpower!
Power. Control. Money.
Is that what public education charged with the responsibility of serving our children should be all about? Yet, these are the three predominant motivators of much of the status quo public education establishment. Tragically, much of the education establishment is not motivated by what is in the best interest of children. Know their true motives through their actions to try to kill the public charter school competition rather than embrace and support parent and student choice in public education or to improve their schools for the benefit of ALL students. They are funneling millions of public dollars (yes, your tax dollars!), which should be otherwise used to improve their schools and programs for students, instead into negative propaganda campaigns and lawsuits whose sole intent is to assert their absolute power and to undermine freedom, choice, options, and opportunities for parents and students.
These charter school hater groups that claim they represent the best interests of the public education system at large use the following as one of their key propaganda talking points to demonize and villainize the public charter school movement:
“Charter schools are taking money away from the public education system”
So how is that possible when both the Federal government and California state government embrace and affirm that public charter schools are an integral part of the public education system? Parents and students, don’t be fooled. This deceptive narrative is being used as an intentional scare tactic to put fear and doubt into the public mind. Truthfully, this propaganda talking point is “code” for what they would really like to say, that is, that public charter schools are outside of our (the education establishment’s) complete control and, through their growing success, are diluting our monopolistic power base to exclusively control the public education system. But they can’t say that because it would too easily reveal their real motivators: Power. Control. Money.
Take another propaganda talking point example they frequently use:
“Charter schools are trying to privatize the public education system”
To justify this propaganda narrative, these charter school hater groups point to the relatively few for-profit organizations (only 2% in California: 25 of more than 1,200 California public charter schools) that are operating public charter schools. They fail to mention that the vast majority of public charter schools are non-profit organizations, with their own independently run school boards, largely comprised of teachers, parents, and community member volunteers who are either elected by parents of each school or appointed by public charter school administrators.
Their further argument? Charter School Boards are not elected through the public election process so therefore they are not real public schools. This propaganda talking point is code for the real fact behind their deceptive narrative, that is, that the status quo education special interest groups cannot exclusively control, rig, or influence who gets elected to public charter school boards like they have been doing for decades with district run school boards and county office of education boards. Status quo education special interests sink millions of dollars into each election cycle to ensure that school boards and county office boards are predominantly comprised of people who will do their bidding and keep the status quo intact and rigged in their favor. In other words, public charter school boards are beyond their exclusive control! Power. Control. Money.
Parents Take Action
Ten steps to take control of your future and be a voice for public school choice
- Demand from your local school district Board and Superintendent to change their education system to Put Students First in practice and create a more flexible and adaptable education delivery model that meets the needs of all children.
- Demand from your local school district Board and Superintendent to approve several independent public charter schools to give parents and students a variety of choices in public education beyond those just offered by their school district.
- Demand that your local School District empower parents and students to decide which public schools best meet their needs.
- Join the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) Families. Go to http://ccsafamilies.org/ for more information
- Contact your local Assemblymember and demand that he or she support parent and student public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. If you do not know who your local California State Assemblymember is, go here: http://assembly.ca.gov/
- Contact your local Senator and demand that he or she support parent and student public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. If you do not know who your local California State Senator is, go here: http://senate.ca.gov/
- Volunteer and participate in rallies that demonstrate solidarity in favor of public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools.
- Research carefully those running for your local District and County School Boards and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.
- Research carefully the candidates running for your local Assembly and Senate seats and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.
- Research carefully those running for your state offices and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.