Kids Not Property
Kidsnotproperty.org is a subsection of the www.voice4choice.org and www.personalizedlearning.org website, which has been established to be a strong voice for student-centered public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. This Kidsnotproperty.org subsection is intended to be a direct, counterpoint voice to the propaganda website, kidsnotprofits.com, which has been established by several public charter school hater groups using false and misleading allegations against public charter schools with the intent of undermining public school choice for parents and students and killing “the competition” of public charter schools nationwide. Don’t be fooled and seduced by desperate measures from desperate people trying to hold on to a broken education system that is failing way too many of our children.
Hundreds of thousands of parents and students are leaving district operated public schools each year, of their own free will, to choose public charter schools largely because most districts are outright refusing to change their education system and programs to meet the needs and interests of 21st century learners. Many district administrators and their schools remain largely beholden to the obsolete, century old, industrial age, one-size-fits-all, factory assembly line-like model developed in the late 19th and early 20th century. This model, even with its predominantly overcrowded classrooms and rigid approach to learning, works well for some students. But this outmoded approach to learning continues to either fail outright or underprepare way too many students for the challenges and needs of the 21st century. Parents and students, in response to this chronically failing system, are instead choosing public charter schools largely because public charter schools are proving flexible, adaptable, innovative, and responsive to the needs of 21st century students. Public charter schools view public education as a service and their students as their customers!
Enter the charter school hater groups. The charter school hater groups pretend to represent the public education interest at large. But these groups are not interested in supporting parent and student public school choices that are beyond their absolute control. To undermine and sabotage alternative choices, they have launched a sinister, coordinated, wide-spread, negative propaganda campaign to demonize and villainize public charter schools across the country. However, this attack is not just an attack on public charter schools. This is a direct attack against you, the people, and your fundamental right to choose which public school is best for your children’s success. This is a direct attack against your freedom and liberty, and is, in reality, a veiled attempt to reinstate a pre-charter school, monolithic, monopolistic, and oppressive public education system that forces your children to attend their district operated public schools with no other options that may be better suited for your children’s educational success.
Parents and students, don’t be fooled. A public education system without choices beyond district operated schools is not in the best interests of you or your children! Look at the chronically failing results of the district-operated public school system. Those results are real! It is estimated that district-operated public schools have been outright failing, underserving or underpreparing from 1/3 to ½ of all public education students for decades. Why else would hundreds of thousands of parents and students annually be seeking, of their own free will, the public charter school choice instead?
These facts are alarming enough. Don’t believe the propaganda lies about public charter schools. This false and misleading narrative’s primary purpose is to instill public doubt and fear, and to undermine parent and student public school choice.
This battle truly comes down to you, as parents and students, standing up for your fundamental rights to public school choice and to seek the best opportunities for a successful, high quality education. Demand your right to public school choice, equal access, and equal opportunity to quality public education in your communities. Stand up for your freedom! Stand up for choice! Equal access and equal opportunities to quality education in all communities is best achieved through parent and student choice, and must include public charter school choices that are independent of absolute district control. Stand up for public charter school choice! Stand up for quality education that puts your children first! Stand up for quality education that personalizes learning for your children! The alternative is unacceptable. The absence of choice is oppression!
As part of their negative propaganda campaign, these charter school hater groups representing the status quo have created a website called “kidsnotprofits.com”. This website contains outrageous false claims, status quo propaganda talking points, and blown out of proportion allegations claiming that the charter school movement is predominantly motivated by profit seekers. It is simply not true. The fact is that only 2% (about 25 of 1200 public charter schools in California) are operated by for-profit companies.
On behalf of the thousands of sincere, dedicated public charter school administrators, staff, teachers, parents, and volunteers that are dedicating their lives to putting the needs of students first in action every day through public charter schools and guiding hundreds of thousands of students to education success annually, a majority of students whom have either been failed outright or underserved by district operated public schools, we say bulloney to these false allegations! This petty propaganda campaign thrust upon the public by the charter school hater groups is offensive and a personal affront to the thousands of hardworking professional educators whose lives are dedicated to doing what is best for students. Treating students like your entitlement property does not serve the needs and best interests of parents and children. Therefore, we say kidsnotproperty!
Children are not the property of the status quo education establishment. They are not the sole entitlement of district operated public schools. The California State Legislature affirms that charter schools are an integral part of the public education system. Yet, tragically, all too often, many in the status quo education establishment look upon children attending their schools as theirs alone. That is, their property, their sole entitlement. Too often they do not have the child’s best educational interests in mind. They view children instead as their exclusive right. Why? It is the fat cat syndrome. They have had the luxury of way too many years of an unchallenged, oppressive, monopolistic, one-size-fits-all public education system that has forced children to attend their schools and conform to a monolithic system that has failed way too many children, with no other options available for parents and students to choose.
Take for example, one of the key propaganda talking points that the charter school haters groups are using to demonize the public charter school movement:
“Charter schools are stealing our students”
The operative word here is “our”. When people talk about stealing something from themselves, they must truly believe that the something belongs to them, as if, in this particular case, children are school districts’ personal property. We say, children are not the property of school districts and we stand up for the fundamental rights of parents and students to choose!
Are you offended by the attitude by many in the status quo system that your district public school owns your children?
Are you offended by your local school district’s insistence that your children should conform to their one-size-fits-all education system, even if that system is not a good match for your children’s education success?
Do you believe that you and your children should have public school options beyond what district-operated public schools offer?
Do you believe that you and your children should be valued and respected as education customers rather than treated as property?
Do you believe in our country’s founding principles of liberty and freedom of choice to do what is best for your children’s education?
Do you believe that the principles of choice help to raise the bar of quality across the entire public education system, both for public charter schools and for district operated public schools?
Do you believe that all children in all communities from all walks of life should have equal access and equal opportunity to a high quality education by having a variety of choices as to where to go to public school beyond what district-operated schools offer?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then parents stand united!
Parents Take Action
Ten steps to take control of your future and be a voice for public school choice
- Demand from your local school district Board and Superintendent to change their education system to Put Students First in practice and create a more flexible and adaptable education delivery model that meets the needs of all children.
- Demand from your local school district Board and Superintendent to approve several independent public charter schools to give parents and students a variety of choices in public education beyond those just offered by their school district.
- Demand that your local School District empower parents and students to decide which public schools best meet their needs.
- Join the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) Families. Go to http://ccsafamilies.org/ for more information
- Contact your local Assemblymember and demand that he or she support parent and student public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. If you do not know who your local California State Assemblymember is, go here: http://assembly.ca.gov/
- Contact your local Senator and demand that he or she support parent and student public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools. If you do not know who your local California State Senator is, go here: http://senate.ca.gov/
- Volunteer and participate in rallies that demonstrate solidarity in favor of public school choice, public charter schools, and Personalized Learning Public Charter Schools.
- Research carefully those running for your local District and County School Boards and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.
- Research carefully the candidates running for your local Assembly and Senate seats and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.
- Research carefully those running for your state offices and determine whether they have been and will be a strong voice for parent and student public school choice, not only through lip service, but through their actions. Use the power of your vote to choose only local School Board Members who strongly believe in parent and student public school choice. If you care about the quality of public education, do not simply vote the party line.